Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Fun Cookbook for Kids!

 I was at my friends house awhile back and we were discussing kids and cooking.... she showed me this adorable cookbook she has for her boys and that they love cooking the recipes in it! Well of course what do I do??? I run home and get on AMAZON right away and order one for my "future chef" Turner for Christmas! He loves it! Well while the kids were at school yesterday my little Max and I got busy.... we whipped up some fruity oat bars bars from the cookbook and they were AMAZING!! (recipe below)  The kids gobbled them up like there was no tomorrow!!



 My sweet little helper, Max, playing with some whole wheat flour!  He loved making little designs with his fingers... he he he

Here they are.... ready to be cut and devoured!            


RECIPE FOR FRUITY OAT BARS:
1 c dried apricots
2 Tbl water
2 1/3 c whole wheat flour
1 c oats
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter
3/4 c turbino sugar
2 Tbl light corn syrup
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease 8 inch baking pan.  Add apricots and water to blender and process until they are a puree.  Set aside.  Put flour, oats, and salt in a bowl and stir utnil combined.  Melt butter, sugar, and syrup over low heat until butter has melted.  Pour this wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix until combined.  Press half of this combined mixture into the pan then spread the apricot puree over that and then add the remaining half of the oat mixture and press it over the top of the puree.  Bake for 25-30 mins or unitl oats are golden on top.  Cut into squares and ENJOY!!!

4 comments:

Таня Билаш said...

Nice! Cool!

Chirper said...

My husband and I have published an illustrated cookbook for kids we thought you'd appreciate called:

The Kids-Did-It! Cookie Bookie: A (fun) Cookie-Baking Cookbook for Kids, Illustrated by Kids!

This deliciously cute cookbook is an introduction to baking for kids ages 3 to 12, and includes 14 tasty, easy-to-follow and really fun-to-look-at cookie recipes, each illustrated by delightful animals or other watercolor illustrations from the Kids-Did-It! Designs® kids’ art collection. Just imagine Chocolate Chipmunks, Peanut Butterflies, Moon Melts, Monster Mish-Mashes or Peppermint Pig Puffs.

The book is creative and engaging, with delightful illustrations, simple step-by-step recipes using everyday ingredients and instructive measuring graphics that help make the recipes easy to understand.

My personal favorites are the MoonMelts. Picture delicious, gooey marshmallow cream stuffed between two cocoa cookies floating in a colorful field of planets and stars!

It's playful and appeals to anyone looking for something fun to do with kids. Even better, the recipes are easy AND delicious, each young illustrator earns a royalty - plus, it makes a great gift.

If you'd like to offer your readers a $2 savings, they can enter P6D99RLV at checkout.

Michelle

----

Style Sisters said...

OH my Gosh Tiff he is so dang cute playing in the flour I just want to eat him up! The recipe sounds delish!!

Brenda Marshall said...

I love that I was the "friend" :-) thanks so much for coming over last night! SO FUN!!!