Friday, August 14, 2009

Thrift Store Chair & Desk Re-Do...all in one week!

Just had to share with you gals a couple of projects that I took on a couple of weeks ago.... First off we needed a small desk to fit on a wall that was only 43 inches wide. Every desk I looked at was way to expensive and WAAAAYY to big, so I decided to check out the fav thrift store and stumbled upon this beauty that was exactly 43 inches across!! I got the guy to come down to 30 bucks and I grabbed it!!! So off I went back home to start the re-do process..... I lightly sanded the desk and painted it a french white and added a basket to the drawer opening that had a drawer that was missing. We superimposed another basket on the right side to show you what it will look like when I find a matching basket!! I found the one at a yard sale for a quarter! (please ignore the lovely wires behind the desk, I have to find a sneaky way to disguise these).
~THE LITTLE EXTRAS ON THE DESK~
If you like my lamp, I got it for $39 at TJMAXX!! The binders above the desk are just Walmart white three ring binders that I put Amy Butler paper in (just on the front and on the spine) I am loving all of the colors together!! Also the CD holder to the right of the paper is one my sister and I made to match the chair below. I got the pattern out of AMY BUTLER'S "In Stitches" book that I LOVE!!! The finished product!!!



The before pic of the desk.......






I am sure this chair looks familiar.... it is one of those hideous cookie cutter office chairs that you see everywhere. Well I had one that had what looked to be like industrial navy blue carpet stuff that covered the chair seat and back (sorry I dont have the before pic). I had seen a couple of blogs that showed re-do's and I thought ok.... I can do this!! So I took off the back of the back rest and went to town!! It was a little tricky to get it off but I figured it out. For anyone who has one of these, you can too take off the back rest, you just have to look how it is screwed together and take it apart piece by piece. Seriously, it did not take me very long at all to dessemble it! The seat part was SIMPLE PIMPLE!! I just took my fabric and literally wrapped it around the seat and stapled it to the bottom with an electric staple gun!! No one sees the bottom so it is not perfect, but no one knows that ;) I think I am going to find another chair like this one and recover it for my son for his room!
Both of these were super inexpensive projects that can be done for any room in your house!!!


I am linking to 
Miss Mustard Seed

11 comments:

Becky said...

That turned out great. I love the way you just did away with the top drawer. That was clever and it works! Perfect! Well done!

Wendy said...

AWESOME! We need to go shopping together:)

ShelleyG said...

You are so COOL!!!!! I love it! Good trick with the baskets. The chair was really cute and I LOVE that lamp! :) Does TJM have more of them? ;)

Delightful Dwelling said...

The desk looks awesome, I loooove the lamp, and the chair fabric is gorgeous. I never thought of covering my ugly office chair, I will have to do that now!

JJLanier said...

Love it!!!

Gwen said...

That desk is fabulous!

steph said...

Look's great! My trick for covering up cords in the back is to take a foam core board and paint it your wall color, then just stick it up behind the desk. Then whenever you need to get back there, just move the board instead massive amounts of furniture. Plus it only costs a couple of dollars.

Jess and Matt said...

That turned out AWESOME. I love it to pieces.

Kale said...

Tiffany you are too cute!!! Thanks for all the fun ideas now I'm itchy to get to the craft store and DI!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

White makes everything better, doesn't it? It looks awesome.

Eryn Hagen said...

I LOVE this desk makeover! I am just searching the net for desk re-do's and stumbled across your blog. So very happy I did...what wonderful inspiration! ohhh and how I LOVE amy butler designs. everything looks fabulous!